Assessments have become quite popular. Most of us have engaged in some kind of an assessment, whether it's a requirement for work or because it's a popular craze that everyone's doing. From Enneagram and Myers Briggs to DISC and 16 Personalities, people love to share and compare their results.
In this post, I'll dive into the topic of assessments- exploring both the WHAT and WHY. I'll also provide a short list of my 4 favorite assessments (from simple & effective for you strategic types to mystical & magical for you spiritual types).
Understanding WHAT are Assessments
Assessments serve as insightful tools, peeling back the layers of your personality, communication style, and inner motivations. In a world full of both opportunities and challenges, assessments offer a means to cultivate a more comprehensive understanding of oneself, positively influencing the way we navigate life and conduct business.
In the dynamic realm of business, gaining profound insights into your natural way of thinking, behaving, and relating to yourself and others can be a game-changer. It goes beyond merely identifying the "what" of your actions. Assessments guide you in understanding the underlying "why" behind your actions (and the actions of others), so you can then, design a better way forward.
In the context of personal and professional development, assessments are purposeful tools designed to unravel the intricacies of one's personality, behavior, and communication style- basically, they way you're naturally wired. They provide a structured framework for self-reflection, offering insights into the combination of traits that make you unique, as an individual.
These tools are designed to increase your self-awareness, broaden your perspective and guide more effective actions, so that ultimately, you can take what you learn to become a better leader, boss, business owner, friend, wife and human. (If that sounds awesome, keep on reading...)
Now that we've explored the WHAT of assessments, let's talk about...
WHY are Assessments So Impactful
(worth a read because if you buy-into the WHY, you're more likely to take the action I encourage below)
- Understanding Self: Assessments provide a structured journey into understanding your personality, strengths, weaknesses, communication style, motivations and potential blind spots. The more you understand your natural inclinations, the more equipped you become to strategically leverage your strengths and intentionally navigate your weaknesses.
- Understanding Others: Many assessments, such as those focused on personality types or communication styles, not only reveal insights about yourself but also shed light on how others may perceive and approach situations differently (think productivity, focus, communication and problem-solving). Understanding these differences fosters empathy, enhancing your ability to communicate, collaborate, navigate conflict and connect more effectively with others. (After all, we're not alone here, and we have to learn how to get along well with others)
- Strategic Decision-Making: Assessments guide you in understanding your relationship with risk and your decision-making tendencies. Having this knowledge will help you recognize your natural preferences, so that in the moment, you are empowered to make more strategic and well-informed decisions that work with your personality or communication style, not against it. (which can make decision-making easier and the outcome sweeter)
- Career Alignment: Career-oriented assessments help individuals align their skills, interests, and values with their professional choices. When decisions are congruent with one's chosen career path or current role, job satisfaction and success are more likely, leading to better overall life satisfaction.
- Well-Being & Beyond: Assessments that consider aspects of life beyond the professional sphere, such as well-being, energy resources and chakras, prompt reflection on mystical ways of being that you've always felt pulled towards. This holistic approach encourages you to consider the interconnectedness of various life dimensions, fostering a more deeply rich, nuanced perspective on what constitutes a fulfilling life.
Now, that we've explored WHY assessments can be so impactful, let's talk about...
My 4 Favorite Assessments (that I highly recommend)
- 16 Personalities: A Comprehensive Approach
- 16 Personalities is based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). It categorizes individuals into 16 personality types, each with its own set of characteristics. This assessment goes beyond surface-level traits, delving into cognitive functions and preferences. The result is a comprehensive understanding of how you perceive the world, make decisions and interact with others.
- What I love most about this assessment is the accuracy, simplicity and presentation of the information. While other assessments are expensive and lengthy (over 100pgs), 16 Personalities is FREE and organized like you're reading a magazine (think fun images, alongside impactful content). The website touts: "Only 10 minutes to get a “freakishly accurate” description of who you are and why you do things the way you do." I couldn't agree more- after this assessment, you'll feel heard, seen and understood.
- (FYI: I'm INFJ-A, Advocate, just like Jon Snow and Lady Gaga. Yep, makes sense.)
- Positive Intelligence: Shift the Balance in Your Mind
- "Positive Intelligence" by Shirzad Chamine is a transformative book and assessment that explores the realm of positive intelligence, and its impact on personal and professional growth. Chamine introduces the concept of the "Sage" and "Saboteur" voices within us, revealing how these internal dialogues shape our thoughts, behaviors, and overall mindset.
- The Saboteur Assessment on their website helps you identify what's causing your stress, anxiety, self-doubt, frustration, restlessness, and unhappiness. They sabotage your performance, wellbeing, and relationships. By identifying and silencing the sabotaging thoughts and embracing the sage wisdom within, individuals can cultivate a more resilient and optimistic mindset.
- (FYI: My Saboteur is the Stickler, which also makes a lot of sense to me.)
- PCSI: Enhancing Communication Skills
- In the business world (and quite frankly, anywhere you go where you communicate with another human), effective communication is paramount. The PCSI (Personal Communication Styles Inventory) is a fantastic assessment and workshop for honing your communication skills. It helps you identify your preferred communication style and provides strategies for becoming flexible and adaptable, to ultimately become a more effective communicator in both professional and personal interactions.
- I am personally certified as a Facilitator of the PCSI, however that's not why it's at the top of my list. I absolutely love it because it's the most simple and effective tool I know (and I've engaged in alot of these things). In a mere 12 pages and 2hrs of time, your awareness is enlightened and your perspective broadened. As part of the workshop, you design action steps to improving communication with those you're challenged by most, and you leave with a 1pg cheat sheet to refer back to in times of need (meaning the new awareness is more likely to stick with you).
- (FYI: I'm high Mediator and almost equally Strategic in my communication style, which makes alot of sense to me.)
- A Human Design: Mystical, Magical, Spiritual Insight
- For those seeking a deeply spiritual and holistic perspective, Human Design is my newest discovery. This comprehensive and integrative system that combines elements from various ancient and modern disciplines to help individuals align all aspects of your life with their authentic, higher self.
- After you enter your name, date of birth, time of birth and location of birth, you receive a personalized chart based on principles of astrology, the I Ching, Kabbalah, and the chakra system. This chart offers insights into your unique energetic blueprint, guiding you to understand their unique personality, decision-making process, and life purpose.
- Some may call this woo-woo, however I find this kind of "thing" fascinating, and thought you might find it fascinating, too! Via the link here, you can take the assessment and then pay $47 for a full description of your profile. Mine was over 260pgs long, but a very easy read. I'm reading 10-12pgs each morning to keep the discoveries top of mind.
- (FYI: I'm a Manifesting Generator, which comes as no surprise. Some of the other aspects of my Human Design (like my Sacral Authority) have left me pondering my sources of struggle in life, and how I can move forward with this knowing, to avoid future struggles.)
Now, what NEXT?
I encourage you to start with 1 of the FREE assessments:
(each is a link below and above)
Then, invest in:
Whether it’s an assessment resulting from a series of 100 questions or an assessment developed through the magic of your birthdate, it can be fascinating to explore more about who you are, on your way to becoming who you’re meant to be!
As you embark on this journey of self-discovery, may you uncover the unique brilliance that propels you towards greater satisfaction and fulfillment, in both business and life!